We realize that an unplanned pregnancy doesn’t just happen to her… as the father, you also have decisions to make. Sometimes it’s hard to know how to help or be involved. You deserve to be heard and we want to help you express your thoughts in a way that will help and not hurt.
1) Listen. You have a lot going through your mind, but so does she. Take time to listen without offering solutions. Decisions and details do not have to be made or figured out today or even tomorrow, so don’t rush her. Allow time to bring clarity of thought.
2) Stay calm. She needs your support. Even though she is carrying the baby, you are BOTH parents. The decisions you make will affect the future of all three of you. Do nothing out of fear or selfish reasons, stay calm and think about what is best for everyone.
3) Talk about it- not only with her. Prepare yourself to talk to those closest to you- parents, trustworthy adults, and loyal friends. Hiding secrets from those who can genuinely help will only increase your stress.
4) Gather all of the facts. You will hear lots of advice so make sure to weigh that advice against accurate information. A good decision will make sense not only in your head, but also in your heart.
5) Express yourself honestly. You deserve to be heard as well. Make sure to express your fears, frustrations, and anger but do it with love and respect. Remember this comes after you’ve listened to her and let her know you care.
1) Don’t let your emotions get the best of you. Running away or yelling only make things harder. Man up and stick around.
2) Don’t pressure her. Too much pressure will only push her away and might cause her to make a decision she would later regret. Never manipulate. Do your best to work together and take your time.
3) Don’t forget your role. You have an active part to play…listen, comfort, seek advice, provide your thoughts.
We have men available to talk to you and help with accurate information about your options. They are hear simply to listen to you and help you sort things out. You Are More than a silent bystander. Call us at 652-8343.
- About Us
- Operation Keepsake
- Contact Us